Friday, June 22, 2007

Yuva Ekta Summer Program, 2007- An Intern's Experience

I joined The Tehelka Foundation as a volunteer for the Education Summit, 2007. The Summit dealt with access to quality education and inclusive education and was unique because the delegates consisted mainly of students. The objective was to provide school children from diverse backgrounds an opportunity to voice their opinions on 'education'- an issue in which they are undoubtedly the majority stakeholders.

I then became an intern at the Foundation and my first project (along with the Coordinator, Gauri) was to figure out a way in which the Summit could be carried forward at a grassroot level.The idea that emerged was that we would conduct a one month workshop, wherein we would work with kids from a variety of backgrounds. The workshop would culminate in the preparation of a play on socially relevant issues.

The big day was 14th May. 18 kids from different schools and NGOs- Salaam Baalak Trust, Bluebells International, St Columbas, Convent of Jesus and Mary, Amity University gathered at The Tehelka Office for the first time. From then on, it has been an endless roller coaster ride. For the first time, I fully appreciated the job that teachers do, managing little devils year after year. The first 3 days we did 'ice breaking' exercises so that the kids could get comfortable and get to know each other.

The next few days were spent in brainstorming on what topic the play would be on. It was interesting to see that most of the children agreed that education, awareness , civic sense and participation in the political society are the keys to solving almost all social problems facing our country. Finally we all decided that the play would be such as would convey the message that since we are all a part of the system, any change that needs to be done has to begin with us.

What did I feel about all this? Was it educational? Undoubtedly. Was it fun? Absolutely. Did I get irritated at times? Sure. Did some days try my patience? Undeniably. But would I trade it for the world? Most definitely not. I have definitely become better at interacting with people. Thankfully since Gauri was there to oversee things, I could afford to play the fool. Yours truly was always the first one to suggest a break or playing dumbcharade or even chain chain at that. What a blast!

As part of the workshop I also got to visit a children's shelter home at the New Delhi Railway Station. I hadn't done something like this since my school days, so it revived fond memories.

I used to sometimes have qualms about the project- would it really make any difference to any one at all? But as the workshop progressed, as I spoke with all the kids about their experiences, I realized that this was an opportunity for most of them to break out of their cocooned existence. All of them (me included) got to interact with kids who have had really difficult times in their lives that they have overcome with sheer grit and determination.

Finally after all the fun and hard work, we presented our play at Central Park in CP. Those three hours were the most fun I have had in the past 3 months. We received a good response to our play. But more than that, it was the journey to that performance that I cherished and learnt from.

Anindita

No comments: